Wednesday, November 30, 2011


These have been done for a few days, but just didn’t get around to taking photos.  What I really need is a digital camera that isn’t a point and shoot.

I have at least of 6 boxes of warlord Romans/Celts kicking around in the closet. I love how these guys paint up with very little effort. I find that it is hard to justify putting in tremendous amounts of time and energy  on Romans, when 99% of focus is put on the shields. Speaking of shields, I need to improve on my shield transfer work. If you look close you’ll see some that ended up off center or peeled back at some point during the drying/varnishing. It also doesn’t help that I haven’t done decal/transfers in over a year.

I used just the more static “standing with pilum” type pose for the whole unit. This required stealing from a few other sprues, and will facilitate a unit of throwing the pilums and with swords drawn. It didn’t seem to make sense to have part of the unit relaxed, while other parts were throwing or wielding shields. The boxes were designed with all poses to be used in a single unit, but I spent too much time wrestling with how to make this work… mostly should I have the swords in the front rank with pilums being thrown overhead, or should I have the throwers in the front rank with swords in the rear (like the pilums were being passed up). Ultimately I just decided to segregate the poses, with the idea that I could interchange bases with in units to facilitate a different look/composition.

Also of note, I didn’t use the centurion body included on the sprue, mostly because I couldn’t have him holding a pilum, but also because I wanted him to have the segmented armor and the centurion body is in mail. It’s nice that they are different and stand out more, but I wanted some to blend in.

No comments:

Post a Comment